On Feb 13, 2019 the Committee of Adjustment (COA) refused an application to demolish an existing single family home at 369 Walmer Road and build in its place a new three-storey semi-detached duplex. The COA refused the application for the following reasons:
The general intent and purpose of the Official Plan is not maintained
The general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law is not maintained
The variance(s) is not considered desirable for the appropriate development of the land
In the opinion of the Committee, the variance(s) is not minor.
The applicants have appealed this decision to the Toronto Local Appeal Body (TLAB). The appeal of the Committee of Adjustment Refusal is scheduled for July 9th and 10th, 2019 at 40 Orchard View Boulevard 2nd Floor, Suite 253, TLAB Hearing Room 3; time 9:30 am.
All documentation, which is updated periodically, can be viewed HERE.
The Casa Loma Residents Association supports the original decision of the COA and therefore is opposing the appeal filed with TLAB. A copy of the CLRA Letter of Objection which states 12 reasons for objecting to this development can be accessed HERE. Some of the reasons for the CLRA objection are:
- Frontage of the severed lots would be 6.99m and 8.25m, significantly less than the frontage of the adjacent lots of 15.24m.
- The proposed four-plex is situated in a cohesive neighbourhood of single-family and semi-detached residential homes.
- The proposed design will not conform with the look of the neighbouring homes
- Ten bylaws are exceeded, with one – building depth- being exceeded by over 50%
- More density would adversely affect the flow of surface water and negatively impact the ravine trees.
If you wish to participate with the CLRA at the hearing, please email